Huawei Showcases Al-powered Smart PV Solution at SNEC 2020 Enabling Smart PV to Be the Main ENergy Source for the Future
On August 8–10, 2020, the SNEC 14th International Photovoltaic Power Generation and Smart Energy Exhibition & Conference are held in Shanghai New International Expo Center. With the theme of “+AI, Smart PV for Future, Enabling Smart PV to Be the Main Energy Source”, Huawei showcased its AI-powered all-scenario Smart PV Solution, shared its vision and responsibility as the industry leader, released its 24-hour green power residential solution and five key AI applications for PV. Huawei also received several certifications for its solar inverters related to grid-supporting, I-V Curve, and Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI), and released a series of technical whitepapers on I-V Curve and AFCI at the same time.
24-Hour Green Power Residential Solution Redefines Power Consumption
Enjoying clean solar energy day and night is not a fiction anymore. Huawei launched the world’s first 24-hour green power residential solution, enabling a carbon-neutral lifestyle. It is estimated that utilizing this sustainable system translates to zero-emission and equivalent to planting 1300 trees per year.
Optimizers could maximize PV modules’ energy yields (up to 30%) regardless of shading and inconsistent orientations. The AI-powered AFCI proactively mitigates fire risk with rapid shutdown technologies, achieving zero voltage on the rooftop and zero arc risks for dual-layer protection.
Huawei’s residential intelligent battery LUNA2000 is the highlight of the exhibition. This battery features a streamlined appearance and uses lithium iron phosphate cells for upgraded safety. It adopts modular design and supports flexible power expansion (5–30 kWh). Each battery pack has a built-in energy optimizer and supports independent charge and discharge management. Old and new battery packs can be used together to fully unleash the potential of each battery.
“X” Key AI Applications Reconstruct PV
• Intelligent tracker control algorithm reconstructs power generation: The neural network-based AI training and modeling enable trackers to be adjusted to the optimal angles, achieving better convergence of bifacial PV modules, trackers, and multi-MPPT smart PV controllers. This enables the entire DC system to reach the optimal status and unleashes the potential of each PV string. The test results show that the algorithm can increase the energy yield by more than 1%.
• Smart I-V Curve Diagnosis 4.0 reconstructs O&M: Smart I-V Curve Diagnosis 4.0 is further upgraded and has reached the industry’s highest level with a detection consistency and accuracy of over 95%, as certified by China General Certification Center. Besides, Smart I-V Curve Diagnosis 4.0 can adapt to more complex PV module scenarios, such as bifacial, shingled, and mixed PV modules. It takes only 15 minutes to complete online full detection for a 100 MW PV plant and automatically generate a report. 5 GW global application, combined with big data mining and AI self-learning, enables continuous optimization of the fault model for more accurate and sound judgment, making Smart I-V Curve Diagnosis one generation ahead of the industry level.
• Intelligent grid connection algorithm reconstructs grid connection: The grid parity era witnesses an increasing penetration rate of new energy sources. How to operate stably in weak power grids becomes a challenge in the industry. Huawei AI BOOST intelligent grid connection algorithm boasts accurate measurement and stable control. The PV system can run stably in various poor power grids (including the power grid with an SCR of 1.5), without grid disconnection or derating. This helps smart PV become the main energy source as well as a high-quality energy source.
• Intelligent AFCI reconstructs safety: Huawei is the first in the industry to integrate the AI algorithm into AFCI, enabling three unique features. First, the AI model continuously and efficiently learns more arc features, forming a database with over millions of arc features. Second, more than 92 arc feature comparison points are identified and analyzed based on the powerful computing capability of the local chip to implement precise detection and accurate reporting for better protection. Third, the power system is shut down within 0.5s, which is much shorter than 2.5s specified in the industry standard.
• Auto-mapping of PV modules reconstructs customer experience: Huawei’s distributed inverters incorporate the Digital Turbo technology for the first time. The built-in AI image recognition technology can intelligently generate the physical layout of PV modules within 5s, saving 86% configuration time and avoiding manual errors.
New Platform + New Ecosystem, Accelerating Digital Transformations.
Based on the FusionSolar AI platform, Huawei uses the “platform + ecosystem” mode to gather different types of partners for the digital transformation of the new energy industry through the ecosystem.
Huawei always adheres to the concept of “openness, cooperation, and win-win” and works together with customers and partners to build a smart PV ecosystem. Huawei Smart PV has cooperated with global key partners to build innovation centers and build a prosperous industry ecosystem with manufacturers of PV modules, transformers and trackers.
Whitepapers and Industry Certifications
• China Electric Power Research Institute (CEPRI) Nanjing Branch issued Huawei the industry’s first certificate under the new national standard for solar inverters. This is the first certification being issued under the new national standard (GB/T 37408 Technical Requirements for PV Plant Grid-supporting Inverters). Huawei’s smart string inverter has become the first in the industry to pass the new national standard assessment, setting a new benchmark for the industry and grid-supporting technology.
• Huawei together with leading testing and certification organization China General Certification Center (CGC) releases the String PV Smart I-V Curve Diagnosis Technological White Paper and Technical White Paper on DC Arcing Intelligent Detection (AFCI) for PV Systems. At the same time, Huawei received the industry’s highest level I-V certificate and industry’s first highest-level AFCI certificate from CGC.
This year, participants could also visit Huawei booth at SNEC via live broadcast available in Chinese and English, https://solar.huawei.com/apac/snec2020.
Huawei also showcased its Digital Power’s full products and solutions, including site power, smart data center, power module, and vehicle-mounted power. Huawei keeps innovating by combining power electronics, ICT, AI, big data, and cloud technologies to help build a simple, green, smart, and reliable energy target network as the energy base for the digital world.
Article produced in partnership with Huawei